Thursday, June 17, 2010

It's been a while!

Ok so here we go again, I think if I start from the beginning this may make more sense to both you as readers, and me as a writer. I had a pretty "normal" pregnancy with Miss Emmie. Only complication being gestational diabetes. So when I went to the OB for my last check up and he said I will meet you at the hospital in a few hours I was kind of in shock. So I did as asked and met him at the hospital and a few hours later we were blessed with a happy healthy 8lb 4oz baby girl that mom and dad could not agree on a name for. We were told that she was doing wonderful and went home a mere 36 hours after c-section delivery. About 2 weeks later we got a phone call from our new pediatrician telling us that Em did not pass the newborn screen test for Cystic Fibrosis. However, we were told not to worry, this test is only 10% accurate. We would now have to travel down to the U of M and have a sweat test done. So off we trek. We get the first test done all to find out that our little girl has come back as borderline. So as brand new parents we are scared. (Honestly I don't quite think scared cuts it) They told us to bring her back in another 2 weeks to repeat the sweat test and find out the results then. 2 agonizing weeks. I sit, I think, I wonder. What is going to happen. Is our little girl sick? Is she dying? What is this horrific thing being thrown at me just as I become a happy parent? We now go back to U of M to do the sweat test again. Our results again come back borderline. WTF? How can you possibly do this to me, to us? They then recommend that she has blood work done to confirm that my peanut has CF. It obviously came back as positive for DF508 and R117H. It could be worse though right? That is what I had to keep telling myself. So now we start with meds, and more meds, and even more meds. We get nebulizers delivered to our house. Not long after we get a vest delivered.

Now it kind of seems like a blur. Like I really don't remember anything different than life as it is today. But I am okay with that. I love our little princess (and she really is a princess) just ask her.

Currently we are having issues with sinuses. I am sick of them. Sinuses should come with a warning label especially in Michigan. With Em they decide to store mucus, thick sticky mucus at that. It then gets stuck. You know how most kids get runny, yucky noses? Not our Emmie. She gets stucky noses. Where it sounds like she is boiling thickened water in her nose. This has been an ongoing issue for us, and it is currently back. Bactrim take it away? I hope so and soon.

Our other current issue is that Em will not eat. She will eat pediasure with her bottle and that is it. I can get her to take small amounts of food however not enough to calorie count. I have come to the non-licensed nurse mom conclusion that it really does hurt her belly. She cramps. She gets gassy. It goes right through her. So who in their right mind would continually put themselves through the pain of eating solid food if it HURT to eat it? Something to talk about when we go back to clinic.

I think this is it for today (maybe this week) we will see.
Have fun reading,
Have fun!
Melissa and Em too!

3 comments:

  1. Now...was that so hard? :-) Nice post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL thanks Josh I needed that bud!
    Love to you and the wifey and Moganko!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yippee! Can't wait to hear more from you! Keep it up, Ms. Blogger! :)

    ReplyDelete